Some of our Iowans enjoying the King-sized
bed Photo Prop at our Over The Hill Pajama Party style
We went from 730 to 749 this week.
Lee and I want to express our thanks to all who helped out this week. Thank You to everyone who helped out with the two performances of Red Head Express this past week. Everything went off more smoothly than we could have imagined and we good several great comments about the way we were able to get everyone parked and had an escort for the handicapped. The show was terrific but our resort only gets kudos for the volunteers that make our visitors’ happy when they visit!
Then a big thank you to everyone who worked the jam on the musical side or on Ann Draker’s team. The luncheon brought in $918. Next week Ellen Hick’s Team “Get Er Done” is onboard. The Menus will be posted tomorrow but I know it includes home-made rolls!
A big thank you to Janet Wilson, Bill Knecht and Marvin Campbell who formed a team to take care of the Sunday Ice Cream Socials. They will begin at 5 PM or on nights with entertainment after the show is over and visitors have left the building.
Also, a big thank you to those that helped in the office or sold tickets this week, those that went grocery shopping for us, those worked the Craft Show, The Horse Races and BBQ, The Entertainment on Sunday, the weekly Bingo games, the Ice Cream Social, the SweetWater Dance and a special thanks to Rich and Donna Ritchie for taking our place on Friday at the dance.
Finally, thank you to Judie Anzivino and her team and Carol Early for the great Over the Hill PJ Party. What fun that was!!
Every week is a busy week and it takes a lot of volunteers to keep this resort a fun place for all our residents.
Advisory Board Nominations are due the end of this month. We need a board member for Arts and Crafts, the Kitchen and the Woodshop. Serving another year is Indoor/Outdoor Sports, Music and Dance and the Member at Large.
A lady’s bike with basket (silver) has been left at the South Entrance Bike Rack by the Mail Room for over a week. If you are missing your bike, please check there.
The Mail Room requests that if you are going to drop off Park Mail to be delivered in the park, please put the Box No. on your mail. The Mail Room is so busy that this takes a lot of time. You can find the Box No. in the directory or you can check it on the book outside the Business Office that has the Presence List in it.
Please do not hire anyone to work on your property that is going door to door in the resort. They will tell you they have done work here and it is usually not true. They are roving contractors that show up every year. We try hard to keep them out of the park because we have had residents get taken in the past. We try to keep them out of the resort, however, they find ways to get in.
We are in the process of setting a date for our Call of the States and Provinces. We will let you know shortly as soon as we verify the Can-Am Date.
The Symphonic Band is sold out for February.
Mike Fultz gave our resort Kudos for having upbeat meetings. He has heard so many parks that complain that their meetings turn into grip sessions. Thanks, Mike, for the compliment!
Activities Welcome Packet – If you are new to the resort in the 2015-2016 Season, please stop in the office to pick up your Activities Welcome Packet. It includes a lot of valuable information that we’ve put together for you. It also includes some free tickets to entice you to join in some of our activities. There is a price for the packet. We need your picture for the Blog so if you are a couple, you both need to stop in. We’ll take your picture and then hand you the packet. I can guarantee that it is worth it!
The Large Hall will be closed from 9 to 1 on Thursday, January 21st, to decorate for Valentine’s Day. Nora has a volunteer sign-up sheet on the wall across from the Mail Room. Quilters, you can go ahead and quilt just keep to the front of the tabled area as we’ve done before.
The Winter Ranch Quilt Show is coming up on January 26th from 8:30 to 12:30 PM.
Winter Ranch Quilt Show
January 26 from 8:30-12:30
Admission Fee $2.00 includes Refreshments
All proceeds go to Quilting for the Needy
Registration forms for entries due January 20.
Door prize donations and items for Second Hand Rose Boutique can be dropped off in the Arts and Craft Room.
Donations of homemade cookies, bars, and cookie dough will be appreciated and can be dropped of in the Large Hall kitchen between 8:30 – 10:30 Monday, January 25.
Volunteers are needed to help:
Set up Monday evening, January 25, 9:00 PM (after cards and Pickle Ball)
Set up Tuesday morning, January 26, any time after 5:00 AM
Tear down Tuesday at 12:30 PM after the show.
50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration will be on February 7th at 2 PM. Kathy Loerch is the Coordinator of the event and she has placed some signup sheets on the Bulletin Board across from the Mail Room. There is a signup sheet for the people that will be celebrating their 50th and another for those that will be attending that have been married over 50 years. There is also a Volunteer Signup Sheet on the Board. It is a wonderful event so we hope you will all consider taking some part in it.
The Margarita Party is coming up on February 9th at 3 PM in the Large Hall. This is a fundraiser for the Billiards Group and is a really fun party! The tickets are on sale in the back of the Large Hall today.
The Illinois Potluck is January 24th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
The Minnesota Potluck is January 31st from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
The Michigan Potluck is February 7th from 11:30 to 1 in the Large Hall. The signup sheet and information are on the Potluck Bulletin Board in the Large Hall by the Rest Rooms. We need everyone to be ready to eat at 11:30 AM because this is also the day for the 50th Wedding Anniversary and we don’t want to interfere with that.
We had a great time at the PJ Party yesterday. I hope you all did too. Judie Anzivino and her team did a fabulous job. Let’s give them a hand!
- January 26th is the Barn Dance coordinated by JoAnn Sullivan. JoAnn may be teaching us some new moves or dances next Tuesday. The concession will be open for Hamburgers or Cheeseburgers and chips and candy bars, Klondike Bars, Drumsticks and a variety of chips, soda and water.
- January 2nd will be our second Sock Hop. Connie Webb is the Coordinator of this event. We’ll be serving Chili Dogs, Sloppy Joes, Ice Cream Sundaes, and Root Beer Floats in the Winter Ranch Café.
We have just one friendly reminder to everyone. The Roundups on Tuesdays are strictly for our residents and registered guests of the resort who have a temporary badge. Please do not invite people from outside the park to any of these events.
Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings have been scheduled for 7 AM on February 15th and March 21st. You do not need to sign up to come. Just show up a bit before 7 AM so that you are there on time. This will be done in the Library.
David Almquist will return again on January 28th from 8 to 9 AM to talk to us about understanding our blood results. This will be in the large hall, kitchen side.
The Integra Health Screenings are scheduled for January 22nd in the Library. If you called them to set up an appointment or signed for an appointment, do remember to come.
Any of you who were thinking they might want to get their hearing checked or if you’ve been poking your spouse to get their attention lately, they can get a free hearing test done on Wednesday, February 3rd in the loft. Bell Tone Hearing will be here at 10 AM to check your hearing. The signup sheet is on the Bulletin Board in the Hall by the Mail Room.
And if you are thinking your arms aren’t long enough and so maybe you now need new glasses, Gulf Coast Eye will be here on February 10th after the meeting to check eyesight in the loft. At the printing of this, they have not been able to get back to me with particulars but we will have them by next meeting.
Annie Lindstrom has brought in some fliers for trips that will be available. She will be posting them shortly on her Tours Board near the Loft Steps in the Large Hall.
- Thursday, January 21st William Florian who was the Lead Singer for the New Christy Minstrels will be our entertainment at 7 PM. This is new show to the valley and I’ve heard that it is terrific. The tickets are $8 and are available at the door.
- Thursday, January28th, David Church will be our entertainment at 7 PM. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door.
- Sunday, January 31st, Gold Wing Express will be our entertainment at 3 PM. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the door.
Just some information about Dances this season. We and JD have booked a lot of excellent bands for this season and we’re going to need the help of all of you dancers to keep them coming here. If our residents that dance attend the dances come, we won’t have a problem even though dance attendance across the valley is down this season. Right now we are a bit worried about our ability to cover their minimums since sales of advanced tickets have been lackluster at best compared to last season. If this trend continues, these great bands may not be playing for us next season.
- December22nd is Diego. Tickets are $5 at the door.
- Friday, January 8th is The Agency. Tickets are $8 and you can reserve seats for this dance in the Activity Office.
- Friday, January 29th is Ralph & The Cruisers. Tickets are $10 and you can reserve seats in the Activity Office.
- Friday, February 5th is Agency. Tickets are $8. This will be their last $8 dance. Based on attendance last time, they asked us to raise their ticket price to $10 for the rest of this season. We are very worried about meeting their minimum for this dance in particular but all of them are in jeopardy.
- The Valentine’s Dance will be held on Valentine’s Day which is Sunday, February 14th at 7 PM. The Agency will be our band for the event. Tickets for the dance are now on sale to the public. Tickets are $10.
The first time a new bus trip can be registered for is always before and after the Wednesday Morning Meeting. Sometimes they are not in sequence because sometimes we have to order tickets for one later in the month and we want to make sure we get them. This is true for the indoor balloon festival. So when you walk in, check what is happening in the hall near the windows by the pool before you sit down. It is always a good day to bring your checkbook or cash! If all the seats aren’t taken after the first time in our mall, sometimes they may come back for a second try.
- WR/TG Bus to the Winter Texas Health Fair Expo – The bus will leave at 11 AM today Wednesday, January 20th.
- WR Only Bus Trip To The Nikki Rowe Musical “How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying” – The bus will depart at 12:30 PM on January 23rd. Note that this bus is full as tickets were purchased in early December. The bus driver will have the tickets for those that are taking the bus.
- WR/TG Bus to La Gloria and the Bloodless Bullfights – The bus will depart at 1:00 PM and not 4 PM as shown on the calendar on Sunday, January 24th. Bus Trip is now closed as we had to order the tickets.
- WR Two Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We’ll leave at 2:30 PM on Monday, January 25th. The cost is $30. We have more rave reviews on this trip. We had 14 open spots on this trip as of this morning. You can sign up at the back of the room after the meeting.
- WR Two Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We’ll leave at 2:30 PM on Monday, February 8th. The cost is $30. Same trip as above.
- Bus to Quinta Mazatlan on January 28th leaving at 8:30 AM.
- WR/TG Bus to the Finals of the National Professional Bull Riders. This is at the Mercedes Livestock Arena. The bus will leave on January 31st, Sunday, at 1:00 PM (not 4:30 as shown on the calendar). The cost is $10 plus a $1 per person bus parking fee. We still had 12 tickets left on this trip as of this morning. Tickets are on sale in the back of the hall. We have 11 seats left on this trip but we will take standby people also. Trophy may not have many going and then we can take more.
- WR/TG Bus to SPI Kite Festival Indoor Exhibition – Friday, February 15th. The bus will leave at 4:15 PM. You’ll have dinner at the Shrimp Haus (on your own) and then attend the Indoor Kite Festival. They are able to fly indoors because their kites are so lightweight that they can pull them into the air. We’ve seen flyers fly out on the West Coast with absolutely no breeze with no problem because of these specialty kites. We have some seats left on this trip and if you are interested, please sign the standby sheet. We’ve had many trips where only two or four people sign up from Trophy. We have already purchased the tickets for those that have signed up because the tickets will go fast. We’ll get the rest of the tickets tomorrow and call the trip closed.
- WR/TG Bus to the South Padre Kite Festival on February 6th. The bus will leave at 9 AM. The Kite Shop has taken over control of the Kite Festival again so we now have professional kite flyers again. It should be a great show. Sign up at the back of the hall today.
- WR Bus to Riverside for dinner and Sunset Cruise on the Rio Grande River. Tickets are $ includes boat trip and meal. Sign up at the back of the hall.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES: Just a friendly reminder of our new rules that have been agreed upon between Winter Ranch and Trophy Gardens. The rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Nora Minor could use some help decorating the hall for Valentine’s Day. There is a signup sheet on the board near the Mail Room.
We also need a few volunteers to do the doors and help set up chairs for the entertainment on Thursday, William Florian. The signup sheet is across from the Mail Room.
There is also a Volunteer Sheet for the Dance With Diego on January 22nd.