We went from 778 to 786 this week
BUSINESS OFFICE INFORMATION
Activities Advisory Board – There was only 1 nomination in each category so there will be no ballot needed. The new Board members will be announced at the meeting on the 24th of February.
Call of the States and Provinces: This will occur on February 10th at the meeting. Please sign up in the Business Office to be a flag bearer. Flag Bearers need to arrive by 8:30AM next Wednesday.
Air Evac Membership: The new Plan No. is 8411. You will need to change that on the information in your red envelope. You will be receiving information on this in your mail shortly.
The CanAM Golf Tournament will be on February 17th.
Welcome Committee: Please stop in the office to see Cathy as we have several new residents.
Thanks to the volunteers who worked the Sock Hop Roundup on Tuesday, Bingo on Wednesday and Saturday, David Church Entertainment on Thursday, the Gold Wing Express Entertainment on Sunday, the Dance with Ralph and The Cruisers on Friday and to the crew for the Sunday Ice Cream Social.
Thanks much to the volunteers who worked on the Jam this weekend. It was a great success. We had more jammers again this week and the “In A Pinch” Jam crew led by Judy Good brought in over $1000 on their lunchon. This week’s crew will be the “Thrown Together Crew” led by us and we thank those that volunteered to help us out. The Menu will be out shortly.
Thanks also to Patti Ellison for helping out with bookkeeping and Jeff Spencer and Theresa Corwin for helping with shopping and Josie Fehring Blawat and Lee Clement for pictures and our team of ladies registering people for trips and photos this morning.. Also, a big thank you to our bus drivers who have been doing an awesome job this season.
Activities Welcome Packet – If you are new to the resort in the 2015-2016 Season, please stop in the office to pick up your Activities Welcome Packet. It includes a lot of valuable information that we’ve put together for you. It also includes some free tickets to entice you to join in some of our activities. There is a price for the packet. We need your picture for the Blog so if you are a couple, you both need to stop in. We’ll take your picture and then hand you the packet. I can guarantee that it is worth it!
Kitchen Freezer: We came back from buying groceries about 10:30 PM last night and found that the white ice cream freezer was left open. Please be sure that the doors on the refrigerator and freezers are all tightly shut before you leave the kitchen. If we hadn’t been very late, we would have lost the whole freezer that was full of ice cream.
Valley Care Clinics wanted us to let anyone who attend the Winter Texan Expo know that they may have received a bill as a result of the Health Fair. They have notified Central Billing to correct the issue. You can disregard any bills that you have received as the accounts have been fixed.
Picture Directory Pictures: I have added three more days for taking pictures so those of you that will be here in March, we would appreciate it if you sign up for the March dates of March 3, 4, 9 and 10th so that those that are leaving before then can use the February dates of February 24th and 25th.
Country Jam: Next week our jam will be celebrating their 15th Anniversary. Come on over and have a great lunch and enjoy the jam.
Swimwear Spectacular Sale will be held on Friday, February 5th from 1 to 4 PM in the library. There are sizes for everyone (ladies and men), post-mastectomy swimwear, sarongs and other fun items.
50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration will be on February 7th at 2 PM. Any questions, contact Kathy Loerch. Kathy could also use some coffee carafes for the celebration. Please see her.
A Super Bowl Party is planned in the Large Hall, Stage End on Sunday at 5 PM on the 7th –or after the 50th Wedding Anniversary has packed up and put things away. Thanks to the Pickleball Players for giving up their playing time. Do bring your comfy chairs and a dish or appetizer to share and your own drinks. The Chuck Wagon will not be open. Although, you can stop at 5 PM for the Sunday Sundae before you sit down to watch the game.
The next Ladies Luncheon will actually be a Tea and Style Show on Monday, February 8th at Noon in the Large Hall. Tickets are on sale in the back of the hall this morning.
Bridge Tournament: The Winter Ranch/Trophy Gardens Bridge Tournament will be on Friday, February 12th from 12:30 – 4:30 PM in the Large Hall. Please sign up on the bulletin boards across from the Mail Room.
Jeanine Helmer wanted me to announce that the trip to the orphanage will be on March 2nd. There is still room for a few more people. You need to let her know by February 15th if you want to go. Jeanine also wanted to remind those who have loved ones being remember in this season’s Memorial Service that they need to turn in pictures to the Activities Office so they can be scanned and the program put together. Please get them to Lee as soon as possible. The Memorial Service will be held on February 23rd at 1:30 PM.
The February Craft Show will be on February 9th from 8 to Noon. Volunteer sheets are posted across from the mail room. We will set up for the Craft Show on Monday, February 8th at 4 PM. It should be set up before the potluck but you can have the potluck if you eat where the tables and chairs are set up for us to eat at during the craft show. The hall is closed to all other activities on Monday after 4 PM. We realize this is an inconvenience, however, we just don’t have enough stamina to stay up until midnight and get up at 6 AM so that we can take care of the craft show otherwise. The tables are set up in a certain fashion according to a map but some tables need risers and some don’t and the spacing varies. We don’t want them moved around after the room is set up.
The Margarita Party is coming up on February 9th at 3 PM in the Large Hall. This is a fundraiser for the Billiards Group and is a really fun party! I’m not sure if there are tickets available at this point. However, we need to announce that there will be a golf cart Mardi Gras Parade before the party at 1 PM. The person with the best decorated cart will receive a prize. Meet in front of the Large Hall.
Fusable Glass Glass: Another class will be held on February 9th at 6:30 PM. Sign up on the board by the Mail Room.
Quilting Dinner: The dinner is scheduled for February 16th at 4:30 PM. They will be selling tickets on Thursdays in the Large Hall when they are quilting.
Dinner Theater tickets for “The Dirty Dredge of Cedaredge” were sold this morning after the meeting and they are sold out. There will be a Matinee performance of the play on Wednesday, March 2nd from 2 to 4 PM. Tickets for the matinee will be on sale in the Small Hall on Friday from 10 to Noon.
- The Michigan Potluck is February 7th from 11:30 to 1 in the Large Hall. The signup sheet and information are on the Potluck Bulletin Board in the Large Hall by the Rest Rooms. We need everyone to be ready to eat at 11:30 AM because this is also the day for the 50th Wedding Anniversary and we don’t want to interfere with that.
- The Missouri Potluck is February 5th from 12 to 2 in the Large Hall.
- The Kansas/Oklahoma Potluck is February 16th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- The Canadian Potluck is February 19th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- The Iowa Potluck is on February 28th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- There are no more Roundups scheduled in February due to all the other activities going on.
- Lone Star Downs – We did have several requests for another horse race so we found that we could fit it in on Wednesday, February 17th from 3 to 5 PM. We will be serving food from the Chuck Wagon but we haven’t decided what quite yet. It will be a day to wear your Kentucky Derby Bonnets. The last Lone Star Downs for the season on March 15th will be the Official Kentucky Derby date so keep those bonnets ready for that one also!
- Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings have been scheduled for 7 AM on February 15th and March 21st. You do not need to sign up to come. Just show up a bit before 7 AM so that you are there on time. This will be done in
- Gulf Coast Eye will be here next Wednesday at 10:15 AM in the Loft to do a quick eye exam. There is no signup as they say it only takes a few minutes for them to tell if you need a more serious look.
- Thursday, February 4th, Gomer and Patsy will be on stage at 7 PM. Of course, you know now that this is a comedy show and I’m sure Gomer has convinced you that it will be a great show.
- Thursday, February 11th, Dave and Daphne will be on stage at 7 PM. Lynn had tried to get the for the last two seasons but I was happy to be able to find a time that we could fit them in this season. They are a couple who have won the best duo singing act in the Valley for three or four years running. It is a show you won’t want to miss.
- Friday, February 5th is The Agency. Tickets are $8. This will be their last $8 dance.
- There will be no dance on February 12th.
- The Valentine’s Dance will be held on Valentine’s Day which is Sunday, February 14th at 7 PM. The Agency will be our band for the event. You can still get tickets for the dance in the Activity Office. Tickets are $10.
- On February 19th at 7 PM, we will be having Team Jersey Night with Ralph & the Cruisers and you can start reserving seats for that now. The tickets are $10 each.
- On February 26th SweetWater will be our band.
- WR Bus to the South Padre Kite Festival on February 6th. The bus will leave at 9 AM. The Kite Shop has taken over control of the Kite Festival again so we now have professional kite flyers again. It should be a great show. We now have our own bus for this trip so we have seats available for this trip. You can sign up at the back of the hall.
- WR Bus to the South Texas Market on February 7th at 11 AM is on sale at the back of the hall.
- WR Two Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We’ll leave at 2:30 PM on three different dates. Check with Carrie at the back of the hall today if you want to get on a trip.
- WR Bus to Ol’D’s new place in Weslaco will depart at 1:30 PM on February 10th, Wednesday. We will arrive a half an hour early so we can eat before any of his other customers arrive for a meal. The entertainment (Double Decker) will be on from 3 to 6 PM. There are still seats available. You can sign up at the back of the bus.
- WR Bus to San Juan Ranch Tour is scheduled for February 22 at 7:30 AM. You will tour a historic hunting camp and corrals as well as the modern processing equipment needed to complete a guided hunt. You’ll learn the history of the ranch and its operations and the importance of conservation and preservation of wild animals. You can register at the back of the hall this morning.
- WR Bus Trip to a Vipers Game. This is a three part trip. First is a tour of the new Vipers Stadium – then a full course meal at Peppers@Uptown in McAllen and then the game between the Santa Cruz Warriors vs the Rio Grand Valley Vipers. You can register at the back of the hall this morning. The cost is $25.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES
Just a friendly reminder of our rules regarding bus trips. These rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. If you consistently do not show up for bus trips (miss three times), you will not be able to take any trips the rest of the season. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Also, keep in mind that our bus drivers are strictly volunteers and we are really lucky to have them. You see that we have several busses in the lot because several of our Wilder Parks no longer have busses. Our guys are starting to trips for them also.
They receive no other compensation for driving you and waiting for you except your tips. These guys go on the same trips over and over again and they deserve some compensation for it. As a rule of thumb, a standard tip should be in the neighborhood of $5 per couple and $2.50 to $3 for a single.
Lee needs a setup team on February 4th at 4 PM for the Gomer and Patsy Show and another for the Agency Dance on the 5th at 4 PM. It would be really nice if someone would stick around and help take down tables after the dance too.
Lee also need volunteers to help set up for the Craft Show at 4 PM on February 8th. We have to tear down the whole hall and reset it up. I could sure use some help from several guys. The hall will need to be put back together quickly after the Craft Show because of the Margarita Party that afternoon.