Ladies Enjoying The Nice Sunny Weather
We went from 786 to 788 this week
BUSINESS OFFICE INFORMATION
Thanks to Dick Miller for the music for the Parade of the Flags this morning and also thanks to Larry and Cathy Chapin, Jeff Spencer, and Theresa Corwin for taking down all the flags and getting them ready. Thanks to all the people who volunteered to carry a flag.
Thanks to the volunteers who worked Craft Show on Tuesday, Bingo on Wednesday and Saturday, the Gomer and Patsy Entertainment on Thursday, the Dance with the Agency on Friday and to the crew for the Sundae Sunday.
Thanks much to the volunteers who helped Lee and I with the Jam this weekend. Last week’s jam brought in over $700. The next Jam Crew will be the Doddridges.
Thanks also to Patti Ellison for helping out with bookkeeping and to Judy Miller and Carrie Halberg for helping out in the office. Thanks also to Jeff Spencer and Theresa Corwin for helping with shopping and Josie Blawat and Lee Clement for pictures and our team of ladies registering people for trips and photos this morning.
The 50th Anniversary Celebration was really beautiful on Sunday and a big thank you goes out to all of you who helped with that event and especially to Kathy Loerch and Lynn Murray who coordinated the event.
CALL OF THE STATES AND PROVINCES:
We had the annual Call of the States and Provinces this morning which is always a fun way to start the morning out.
Cathy gave us a list of the States with the largest populations at Winter Ranch.
LOST AND FOUND DEPARTMENT: Chet Mower is missing a step stool with his name on it. If you see it somewhere, please return it to him. It would be appreciated.
Activities Welcome Packet – If you are new to the resort in the 2015-2016 Season, please stop in the office to pick up your Activities Welcome Packet. It includes a lot of valuable information that we’ve put together for you. It also includes some free tickets to entice you to join in some of our activities. There is a price for the packet. We need your picture for the Blog so if you are a couple, you both need to stop in. We’ll take your picture and then hand you the packet. I can guarantee that it is worth it!
Directory Corrections are due tomorrow Thursday, February 11th. If you haven’t checked your Mail Box lately, please do it today. You may have a form in there that needs to be completed and returned to the Computer Group. Otherwise, you may live with something wrong in the directory for a full season.
The first Winter Ranch Cookbook: Jeanette Bartels is trying to figure out if there is enough interest in doing a reprint of this cookbook. If you are interested in getting one of these, please contact her. They can have it reprinted if there is enough interest. They need 100 people to order them. She believes the cost will be $15 each.
Activity Scheduling Forms for the 2016-2017 Season are now available. They are located in the clear plastic container next to the Activity Office door. We need a separate form for each activity. If you are wondering if you need to complete one, the best way I can explain it is “If you take space in any room or space such as the shuffleboard court or the swimming pool in the park for an activity that you are in charge of, then you need to fill out a form.” I’d like to start working on the room schedules for next season starting in March so if you could them returned to me this month that would be terrific.
On Thursday the 11th, tomorrow, the Hall will be closed to all activities except for the Variety Show Timing and Auditions from 8AM until 1:30 PM. The Mail Room will still be open but if you could enter from the North door and exit the same way, it would be appreciated.
Picture Directory Pictures: In order to get everyone in the new Directory, I have added some more days for pictures to be taken. The last of these session are closing in on us so if you have not registered yet to have your picture taken, do so soon. The following dates have been added in February: February 22nd and 23rd. I also added one more day in March on March 10th. Signup for your pictures before or after every Wednesday meeting and on February 11th from 9 to 11 AM in the Small Hall and on February 15th from 1 to 3 PM in the Small Hall.
Country Jam: This Saturday our jam will be celebrating their 15th Anniversary. Come on over and have a great lunch and enjoy the jam. We will be having some guests coming in on a bus to take in the jam. Pam Hoppe has made a party of it. There will be cake
Dairy Queen Bingo: There will be no Dairy Queen Bingo next Monday.
Bridge Tournament: The Winter Ranch/Trophy Gardens Bridge Tournament will be on Friday, February 12th from 12:30 – 4:30 PM in the Large Hall.
Doggie (Pet) Parade: The Pet Parade will be at 10:30 on Saturday, February 13th at the Doggie Walk between Winter Ranch and Trophy Gardens.
15th Anniversary of our Country Jam will be celebrated this week on Saturday, February 13th. Come enjoy wonderful lunch at 11am and than stay for music and cake at break time. Pam tells us that we will have a bus load of visitors on that day.
WR Walkers and Yoga are sponsoring canned fruit donation for Barrio (Pharr, Tx) Christian House to give men with drug and alcohol addiction training to return back to society to care for their family, live a religious life and become better citizens. Our WR Christian Ministries helps with their food and many other supplies. We want to help these men return to society with a Christian heart. Your donation of canned fruit will be greatly appreciated at this time.
Quilting Dinner: The dinner is scheduled for February 16th at 4:30 PM. They will be selling tickets on Thursdays in the Large Hall when they are quilting.
No Ice Cream Social on February 14th as we will be setting up for the Valentine’s Dance and the concession people for the Dance will be setting up after that.
Activities Board Meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 17th, at 3 PM in the Library.
The CanAM Golf Tournament will be on February 17th. The parade to the hall will start at 8:45 AM. Meet in the cul-de-sac on Coyote Run. Tee off time is 9:30 AM. Entry fee is $2. Sign up for Winter Ranch only will be on Friday, February 12th at 8:15 AM at the Golf Course Club House. This will be for both Americans and Canadians. There will be hot dogs, chips and cold drinks served after the scramble. There are also some cash prizes. Contact Dick DeGaramo if you have any questions.
The Memorial Service will be February 23rd at 1:30 PM in the Large Hall. We have 9 people we are honoring with their memories. Everyone is invited to attend. We will have cookies and coffee afterward so people can visit.
Dinner Theater tickets for “The Dirty Dredge of Cedaredge” are sold out. There will be a Matinee performance of the play on Wednesday, March 2nd from 2 to 4 PM. Tickets for the matinee will be on sale in the Small Hall on Friday from 10 to Noon.
Jeanine Helmer wanted me to announce that the trip to the orphanage will be on March 9th. They will leave from the Small Hall at 11 AM. Be sure to bring your passports. The cost is $15 per person or $25 per couple. Bring money or checks made out to Children’s Haven International by February 13th to Jeanine Helmer at Lot 503. If anyone is interested yet, talk to Jeanine today. She also wants everyone to continue to save box tops and UPC’s (the bar codes) from the Campbell products.
- The Kansas/Oklahoma Potluck is February 16th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- The Canadian Potluck is February 19th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- The Iowa Potluck is on February 28th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- There are no more Roundups scheduled in February due to all the other activities going on.
- Lone Star Downs – We did have several requests for another horse race so we found that we could fit it in on Wednesday, February 17th from 3 to 5 PM. We will be serving food from the Chuck Wagon but we haven’t decided what quite yet. It will be a day to wear your Kentucky Derby Bonnets. The last Lone Star Downs for the season on March 15th will be the Official Kentucky Derby date so keep those bonnets ready for that one also!
- Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings have been scheduled for 7 AM on February 15th and March 21st. You do not need to sign up to come. Just show up a bit before 7 AM so that you are there on time. This will be done in
- Gulf Coast Eye called and cancelled the eye exams for today. Apparently, they were having problems getting the doctors lined up. It doesn’t sound like they are going to reschedule.
- Thursday, February 11th, Dave and Daphne will be on stage at 7 PM. Lynn had tried to get the for the last two seasons but I was happy to be able to find a time that we could fit them in this season. It is a show you won’t want to miss.
- There will be no dance on February 12th so pickleball players can use the hall if you wish. I know you’ve lost a lot of playing time this month due to all the extra activities going on.
- The Valentine’s Dance will be held on Valentine’s Day which is Sunday, February 14th at 7 PM. The Agency will be our band for the event. You can still get tickets for the dance in the Activity Office. Tickets are $10.
- On February 19th at 7 PM, we will be having Team Jersey Night with Ralph & the Cruisers and you can start reserving seats for that now. The tickets are $10 each.
- On February 26th SweetWater will be our band.
- WR Two Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We’ll leave at 2:30 PM on two different dates. Check at the back of the hall today if you want to get on a trip.
- WR Bus to Ol’D’s new place in Weslaco will depart today at 1:30 PM.
- WR Bus to “A Touch of Irish” will depart on Saturday at 6 PM. Don’t worry about your tickets. The Bus Driver will pick them up at Will Call and pass them out to everyone on the bus.
- WR Bus to Riverside for a meal and a cruise on the Rio Grande will depart at 4 PM on February 15th. We have scheduled another trip for February 29th. You can sign up at the back of the hall. Everyone that was on the waiting list from the last trip has been scheduled for this trip. Please let us know if you can’t go.
- WR Bus – Bay Fishing Trip – we just added this one because we know there are quite a few of you who really wanted to go. The bus will leave at 6 AM on February 18th. The cost is $15 and includes everything you will need to fish with including the bait. If you do catch something, they will clean and wrap it for you at a nominal cost. We can take a full bus load of people on this excursion. They do have an afternoon one but Captain Noe tells me the best fishing is in the early morning. In order to be legal, you should acquire a one-day salt water fishing license at Walmart. I believe the cost is $11. We recommend not getting it until the day before when we know what the weather will be like. You can sign up at the back of the hall today and after that in the Activity Office.
- WR Bus to San Juan Ranch Tour is scheduled for February 22 at 7:30 AM. There is still room on this tour. Stop in the office if you would like to go.
- Bus Trip to a Vipers Game. This is a three part trip. First is a tour of the new Vipers Stadium – then a full course meal at Peppers@Uptown in McAllen and then the game between the Santa Cruz Warriors vs the Rio Grand Valley Vipers. You can register at the back of the hall this morning. The cost is $25.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES
Just a friendly reminder of our rules regarding bus trips. These rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. If you consistently do not show up for bus trips (miss three times), you will not be able to take any trips the rest of the season. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Also, keep in mind that our bus drivers are strictly volunteers and we are really lucky to have them. You see that we have several busses in the lot because several of our Wilder Parks no longer have busses. Our guys are starting to trips for them also.
They receive no other compensation for driving you and waiting for you except your tips. These guys go on the same trips over and over again and they deserve some compensation for it. As a rule of thumb, a standard tip should be in the neighborhood of $5 per couple and $2.50 to $3 for a single.
Lee needs a setup team on February 11th at 4 PM for the Dave and Daphne Show and another for the Valentine’s Dance on the 14th at 4 PM. It would be really nice if someone would stick around and help take down tables after the dance too.
Craft Show Luncheon: We need someone to be the Team Leader/Head Cook for the Craft Show Luncheon in March. You can choose your own menu and your own prep team to help you in the kitchen prior to the craft show morning. Otherwise, the jobs for the luncheon are filled by volunteer signup. If you have questions about what it entails or are interested, see Mary in the Activities Office.