We went from 788 to 795 this week
Annual Can-Am Golf Tournament Parade
Today is the annual Can-Am Golf Tournament with the Americans and the Canadians at Winter Ranch and Trophy Gardens challenging each other on the Winter Gardens Course. The players always parade through the hall before playing.
After the parade, the meeting progressed as usual! Fun times!
BUSINESS OFFICE INFORMATION
Next Season’s Rates: The rates for next season will be out shortly.
Thanks to the volunteers who worked Bingo on Wednesday and Saturday, the Dave and Daphne Entertainment on Thursday, and to those that worked the Valentine’s Dance with the Agency on Sunday.
Thanks much to everyone that works the jam. The Can Am Jam Team led by the Doddridges. brought in over $1100 last week as we celebrated the 15th Anniversary of our Country Jam. The next Jam Crew will be Nora Minor’s Team on this Saturday. She has a lot of wonderful home-made items on the menu this week which will be out shortly.
Thanks also to Patti Ellison for helping out with bookkeeping; Jeff Spencer and Theresa Corwin for helping with shopping; and to Lee Clement for pictures and to our team of ladies registering people for trips and photos this morning.
Activities Welcome Packet – If you are new to the resort in the 2015-2016 Season, please stop in the office to pick up your Activities Welcome Packet. It includes a lot of valuable information that we’ve put together for you. It also includes some free tickets to entice you to join in some of our activities. There is a price for the packet. We need your picture for the Blog so if you are a couple, you both need to stop in. We’ll take your picture and then hand you the packet. I can guarantee that it is worth it!
Activity Scheduling Forms for the 2016-2017 Season are now available. They are located in the clear plastic container next to the Activity Office door. We need a separate form for each activity. If you are wondering if you need to complete one, the best way I can explain it is “If you take space in any room or space such as the shuffleboard court or the swimming pool in the park for an activity that you are in charge of, then you need to fill out a form.” I’d like to start working on the room schedules for next season starting in March so if you could have them returned to me this month that would be terrific.
On Thursday the 11th, tomorrow, the Hall will be closed to all activities except for the Decorating Team and the Quilting for the Needy Group from 9:30 to 1 PM. Quilters, again please keep to the front row of tables if you can because the decorators need a lot of tables to put things they are going to put up for St. Patrick’s Day and other tables to put the Valentines things they are taking down. It is very helpful to sort them out on tables so they can be put away well arranged. Nora could also use some volunteers to help take down and put up decorations. There is a signup sheet on the Bulletin Board across from the Mail Room.
On Sunday, February 21st, the Hall will be closed from 1 until 6 PM for a final Variety Show Rehearsal. Then at 6 PM you can start taking seats for the Variety Show at 7 PM.
Ice Cream Socials: There will be no Sunday Ice Cream Social this Sunday because of the Variety Show and we won’t have one next Sunday because of the Dinner Theater. It’s February and everything happens in February!!
Picture Directory Pictures: In order to get everyone in the new Directory, I have added some more days for pictures to be taken. The last of these sessions are closing in on us so if you have not registered yet to have your picture taken, do so soon. You can register at the back of the hall today.
Activities Board Meeting will be held today, February 17th, at 3 PM in the Library.
Lone Star Downs – The horses will be racing at 3 PM today. The Chuck Wagon will be serving chili dogs or sloppy joes with potato salad and chips today between 3 and 5 PM. You can also have some ice cream treats for dessert. Ladies, be sure to wear your Kentucky Derby Bonnets. The last Lone Star Downs for the season on March 15th will be the Official Kentucky Derby Day so keep those bonnets ready for that one also!
Jean Snyder, Lois Green and Deb Kanne showing off their hats for the races!
The Memorial Service will be February 23rd at 1:30 PM in the Large Hall. We have nine people we are honoring with their memories. Everyone is invited to attend. We will have cookies and coffee afterward so people can visit.
Show and Share is scheduled for 1 to 4 PM on February 24th in the Large Hall. We’ve had some input that this should occur in early March. We had a resident vote and the date was changed to Sunday, March the 6th and we’ll have a Sunday Sundae following the cleanup at 5 or 5:30 PM.
Dinner Theater tickets for “The Dirty Dredge of Cedaredge” are sold out for February 28th. There will be a Matinee performance of the play on Wednesday, March 2nd from 2 to 4 PM. Tickets for the matinee will be on sale in the Small Hall on Friday from 10 to Noon.
Resident’s Appreciation is scheduled for March 8th from 3 to 5 PM. There will be food and a dance with music provided by the David Lopez Band. Mark your calendars.
- The Canadian Potluck is February 19th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
- The Iowa Potluck is on February 28th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
There are no more Roundups scheduled in February due to all the other activities going on.
The last of the Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings has been scheduled for 7 AM for March 21st. There is a signup sheet on the bulletin board across from the Mail Room. They need to know how many to expect as it is getting late in the season.
- Thursday, Feb 18th at 7 PM, the Wade Benson Landry Swingin’ Cajun Show will be our entertainment. The tickets are $7 and you can get them at the door. Wade comes to us from Branson, Missouri where he entertains regularly at the God and Country Theater. Wade brings his Louisiana influences to the stage in a two-hour show with Cajun, traditional country and western swing, interactive video, gospel and comedy. We are looking forward to seeing it as we have heard that it is a great show.
- Razz Ma Tazz on February 22nd has been cancelled. Their Principal at the school made other mandatory plans for them. We were not able to reschedule them. If you purchased tickets in advance, please stop in with them and get a refund.
- Thursday, February 25th at 7 PM, Vance Greek will be our entertainment. He was with us last year for resident appreciation and I know we all enjoyed him. The tickets for Vance are $6 and you can buy them at the door.
- On February 19th at 7 PM, we will be having Team Jersey Night with Ralph & the Cruisers and you can still reserve seats for this in the Activity Office. Come dance while showing off your pride in your favorite team.
- On February 26th SweetWater will be our band at 7 PM. The tickets are $5 at the door.
- WR Two Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We have scheduled another catamaran trip because we had half a bus load on the standby list. The new trip is scheduled for March 7th and we’ll leave at 2:30 PM. Register at the back of the hall today if you want to get on this trip. The cost is $30.
- WR Bus to Riverside for a meal and a cruise on the Rio Grande will depart at 4 PM on February 29th. This trip is full and we have started a wait list. If you have signed up and can’t go, please be sure to let us know as soon as you can as there are people who would like to go. We have started a wait list and may be able to get another cruise going on this one. Stop in the back of the hall.
- WR Bus – Bay Fishing Trip – We had to cancel the Bay Fishing Trip because we didn’t get enough interest. If you paid for the trip, please stop in the Activity Office to get your refund.
- WR/TG Bus to the Quilt Show in South Padre. The bus will leave at 8 AM. You can shop or browse at the Quilt Show and if you are all finished before lunch, you might want to take a stroll on the boardwalk by the Convention Center. It is a nice walk out to the Laguna Madre and you may see some unusual birds or wildlife along the walk. Then your driver will head to the Shrimp Haus for an early dinner before returning home. This trip is now closed.
- WR Bus to San Juan Ranch Tour is scheduled for February 22 at 7:30 AM. This bus trip is now closed. The Tour Guide wanted us to let those going know that they don’t want to drink too much coffee before they come. You will depart the bus at a gas station but they don’t let visitors use it. Then you’ll be on a tram heading to the Ranch House and once you are there, you can visit the rest rooms and have coffee and cookies.
- Bus Trip to a Vipers Game. This trip was cancelled due to a lack of interest. If you signed up for this, stop in the Activity Office to get your refund.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES
Just a friendly reminder of our rules regarding bus trips. These rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. If you consistently do not show up for bus trips (miss three times), you will not be able to take any trips the rest of the season. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Setup Teams Needed: Lee needs setup teams on Thursday, February 18th, at 4 PM for the Wade Benson Landry Swingin’ Cajun Show and at 4 PM on Friday for the dance with Ralph and the Cruisers. It would be really nice if some of you dancers could stick around and help take down tables after the dance too.
Craft Show Luncheon: We need someone to be the Team Leader/Chief Cook for the Craft Show Luncheon in March. You can choose your own menu and your own prep team to help you in the kitchen prior to the craft show morning. Otherwise, the jobs on the day of the luncheon are filled by volunteer signup. If you have questions about what it entails or are interested, please see Mary in the Activities Office.
Lights in the Pool Area: Lee would like a couple people to help him put up some lights on the front fence in front of the swimming pool and the top and bottom deck railing of the swimming pool shed. As soon as we get a crew, we can get it done.