We went from 795 to 792 this week
Congratulations to our Pickball Players. The first annual Alamo Pickleball Tournament, held in conjunction with Alamo Winter Texan Appreciation Day, took place on Saturday, Feb. 20th at the Bowie Adult Education Center. 14 teams from Winter Ranch participated with two teams from Trophy Gardens and one from Alamo Palms. We are proud of our Pickleball players for getting involved in the community and for winning all the prizes that were awarded for the tournament.
Results for the Men’s Doubles: 1st – Bob Wilburn and Tom Griffith; 2nd – Don Hoppe and Al Bell, 3rd – Dale Peters and Merlin Graaf
Results for Women’s Doubles: 1st – Sue Hobson and Joyce Groom; 2nd – Flo Reed and Julie Spratt; 3rd – Jan Bell and Dody Anenson
Mixed Doubles: 1st – Warren Lock (absent) and Dody Anenson; 2nd – Bob Wilburn and Joyce Groom; 3rd – Rod McKee and Flo Reed
Congratulations to Doug McVicker who had a Hole in One on our Winter Gardens Course.
Next Season’s Rates: The rates for next season are in. The Business Office is accepting re-reservation deposits and payments for next season.
Advisory Board Members: We say goodbye to Nora Minor, Charles Duran and Linda Doerschug who were Board Members last season and we thank them for their service. We welcome our new Board Members.
Jim Thomas, Marge Janke, Marvin Orndorff, Barb Steenrod, Nora Minor, Charles Duran, Lee Clement, JoAnn Sullivan, Dave Kniker and Paul Wilson
Arts and Crafts: Margaret Janke (new)
Kitchen: Barb Steenrod (new)
Woodshop: Jim Thomas (new)
The rest of our Board Members for the 2016-2017 Season are:
Member at Large: Paul Wilson
Indoor and Outdoor Sports: Dave Kniker
Music and Dance: JoAnn Sullivan and Lee Clement (co-members)
Church: Marv Orndorff
Thanks to all our Board Members, past and present, for their dedication to the activity fund and the service they provide to our Activity Directors and Management. They complete the circle of our team.
The Memorial Service was beautiful. Thank you to all who made it possible.
Thanks to the volunteers who worked Bingo on Wednesday and Saturday, the Wade Benson Landry’s Swingin’ Cajun Show on Thursday, and to those that worked the Ralph and the Cruisers Dance on Friday. A big thank you also to all those that helped setup and tear down for those activities.
Thanks much to everyone that worked the jam last week. The Jam Team Lunch Crew led by Nora Minor brought in over $900 last week and they had a lot of really good food. Next week’s jam crew will be the Illinois Group led by Barb Steenrod. Their menu will be out shortly.
Thanks also to Patti Ellison for helping out with bookkeeping; Jeff Spencer for helping with shopping and a lot of chair and table setup and take down; and to Lee Clement for pictures and to our team of ladies registering people for trips and photos this morning. Also, thanks to Ron Doerschug for getting donuts for us every Wednesday and helping as vendor escort at our Craft Sales.
Activity Scheduling Forms for the 2016-2017 Season are now available. I have started entering some of the activities in the scheduling program but I am still missing some of the activities that are listed on the back of the calendar. Those need to be done before I can do any of the one day specials. This is not a short task and I have had lots of people wanting to know what their dates, days or times are for next year. There are also some new activities that want to start up so I have to see what I can do to accomplish that. I won’t be able to confirm anyone’s activity until I am finished with the whole process. It is one gigantic puzzle that changes yearly based on the calendar. When I have it done, you’ll hear from me.
Ice Cream Socials: There will be no Sunday Ice Cream Social this Sunday because of the Dinner Theater.
Pictorial Directory Pictures: In order to get everyone in the new Directory, I have added some more days for pictures to be taken. The last of these sessions is closing in on us so if you have not registered yet to have your picture taken, do so soon. You can register at the back of the hall today.
Show and Share is scheduled for 1 to 4 PM on March 6th in the Large Hall. We’ll have a Sunday Sundae following the cleanup at 5 or 5:30 PM.
Dinner Theater tickets for “The Dirty Dredge of Cedaredge” are sold out for February 28th. There will be a Matinee performance of the play on Wednesday, March 2nd from 2 to 4 PM. Tickets for the matinee will be on sale before and after next week’s meeting. They will also have videos of the performance for sale for $2.
Choir Concert – The Concert will be held on March 1st, Tuesday, at 7 PM.
Alamo Parade – will be held on March 5th. The theme is “ALL STAR/SPORTS” so you can wear whatever goes with the sport you are interested in. The Parade Route is a walk from HEB to the El Dorado Restaurant. You can sign up next Wednesday before and after the morning meeting. You will also be able to sign up to take the bus to HEB returning from the El Dorado. Flo Reed is looking for volunteers to walk with team jersey’s or sports equipment. The Bus will leave here at 10 AM. The Parade is at 11 AM.
Wilder Parks Golfing Fun Day 2016 will be held on Sunday, March 6, 2016 at the Tierra Santa Golf Club at 1901 Club De Amiste in Weslaco. Registration is Noon to 12:45 PM with a Shotgun Start at 1 PM for 4 person scrambles (4 men or 4 women). The cost is $40 + Tax per person and includes 18 holes with a cart, range balls and a buffet dinner. Prizes will be awarded for Long Drive and Closet to the Pin in both Men’s and Women’s Divisions. Team trophies will be awarded to the winners of each division. The information is posted on the golf board. Each Scramble team needs to call in to reserve their space prior to the date – call 956-973-1811. Space is limited.
Resident’s Appreciation is scheduled for March 8th from 3 to 5 PM. There will be food and a dance with music provided by the David Lopez Band. Mark your calendars.
The Winter Ranch vs Trophy Gardens Golf Scramble Tournament will be held on March 12th at 9 AM. Signup will be March 4, 2016 before the regular Friday morning scramble. This is the WR signup only. There will be a $2 entry fee with the proceeds going to the 1st Responders. There will be 45 players from each resort. We will meet at the club house at 8:30 AM for check-in and will start about 9 AM. Come out for the competition between the two resorts and have a “FUN” time and support our 1st Responders. Any questions, call Dick DeGaramo: 309-838-1976.
A Charity Golf Scramble for Alzheimers is tentatively proposed for March 18th. Watch the Golf Board for more information.
The Jam Appreciation Luncheon for those that helped to make our Jam so successful (those that worked on the Musical side and those that worked on a Jam Luncheon Team) is scheduled for Noon on March 19th. Further details will come with the invitation that you should receive shortly.
- The Iowa Potluck is on February 28th from 11 to 1 in the Large Hall.
The last of the Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings has been scheduled for 7 AM for March 21st. There is a signup sheet on the bulletin board across from the Mail Room. They need to know how many to expect as it is getting late in the season.
- Thursday, February 25th at 7 PM, Vance Greek will be our entertainment. He was with us last year for resident appreciation and I know we all enjoyed him. The tickets for Vance are $6 and you can buy them at the door.
- Thursday, March 10th at 7 PM, we will have Faith’s Journey here. They will do a Gospel Show for us. We saw them at the Entertainment Showcase and they do an awesome job. They describe themselves as “Absolutely Country and Definitely Gospel.” The tickets are $7. They stopped in here a couple of weeks ago thinking they were at Trophy Gardens and they wanted to get set up. They are on our lineup for next season but since they were here, I asked if they could perform for us on March 10th since we had an opening. We know you’ll enjoy them.
- Friday, February 26th, at 7 PM, SweetWater will be our band. You can purchase tickets at the door for $5.
- Friday, March 4th, at 7 PM Route 66 will be our band. They do a variety of music including country and rock and roll. You can purchase tickets at the door for $5.
- Friday, March 11th at 7 PM The Agency will be with us for our Senior Prom. You can take the Senior either way – relive your youth and dress up or come as a Senior Citizen and enjoy all the fun. We will be selecting a King and Queen and their Court from the Senior Prom participants. There will be punch and extra goodies in the Chuck Wagon and there may be some chaperons to keep the young ones on the straight and narrow. Tickets are $8 and you can reserve your seats in the Activities Office if you want a certain table or take your chances at the door. This has been in the paper and the Country Club has already been over to reserve two tables so you might want to start coming to the office to get your tables.
DRAWING FOR THE 50/50 DATES will be on Friday, Feb 26th, at 10 AM in the Small Hall. We looked at different ways of rotating the groups around and didn’t find anything that would make it any more fair.
- WR Two-Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – We have scheduled another catamaran trip because we had half a bus load on the standby list. The new trip is scheduled for March 7th and we’ll leave at 2:30 PM. Register at the back of the hall today if you want to get on this trip. The cost is $30. There are four seats left on this cruise so see us today if you want on this trip.
- WR/TG Bus to Market Days at South Padre still has some seats left. Stop in the Activities Office if you would like to go on this trip which is Feb. 27th, Saturday, leaving at 11 AM.
- WR Bus to Riverside for a meal and a cruise on the Rio Grande will depart at 4 PM on February 29th. This trip is full.
- WR Bus to SAS Shoes and the Freddie Fender Museum in Harlingen is scheduled for 9 AM on Thursday, March 3rd. You can sign up at the back of the hall today.
- WR Bus to the Golden Olympics Walk and Talk will be on Friday, March 4th, at 9 AM. You can sign up at the back of the hall.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES
Just a friendly reminder of our rules regarding bus trips. These rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. If you consistently do not show up for bus trips (miss three times), you will not be able to take any trips the rest of the season. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Setup Team Needed: Lee needs setup teams on Thursday, February 25th, at 4 PM for the Vance Greek Show .