We went from 761 to 722 this week
BUSINESS OFFICE NEWS:
Next Season’s Rates: The rates for next season are in. The Business Office is accepting re-reservation deposits and payments for next season. Re-reserving your site for next season will go through Saturday, March 5, 2016.
Switching Sites: We will start switching on Monday March, 7th. If you haven’t been through this process before, it is the time when we know what sites will be available for next season and if you think you might want another lot, you can get in line to try to get that particular lot. Talk to the Business Office if you have any questions.
Before You Leave: It is that time again. When you get ready to leave make sure that your bikes, flower pots, grills, lawn ornaments, etc. are put away or securely fastened down. Any of these items can become missiles in a high wind and cause damage to your property or to others.
Resort Directories are available in the Business Office for $2.
Activity Directors Needed: If you are at all interested or want to find out more about the position, see Cathy in the Business Office.
Keys for Units: Please fill out a new form in the Business Office for your keys that are left in the office before you leave.
Mail Forwarding: Make sure that our Mail Room has forwarding address labels for you before you leave. The Computer Group will make Mailing Labels at a nominal cost. You can request them in the Business Office.
City of Alamo Ambassador Program: If you are interested in being an ambassador for the city, there will be a training luncheon on March 18th. We will need a count by next week of who will attend. To attend this luncheon, you don’t have to be signed up to help at a rally. If you are willing to promote Alamo when your promote Winter Ranch back home you can attend this luncheon so you can get the Alamo selling points.
If you want to represent Alamo and Winter Ranch at a rally, that would be terrific. The rallies that Alamo is going to do are:
- FMCA Great Lakes Area Rally – June 8-12 in Goshen, Indiana at the Elkhart Country 4H Fairgrounds.
- FMCA Midwest Area Rally, July 13-16, Amana, Iowa at the Amana Colonies RV Park.
- Good Sam’s Minnesota State Samboree, August 4-7, Hutchison, Minnesota
For more information, see Cathy in the Business Office.
Bring a Friend Campaign is still going strong. If you invite a friend who hasn’t been at Winter Ranch ever or for at least 3 years, then you can get a monetary award and they can get a good discount on their rate.
Wilder Golf Tournament: The Wilder Golf Tournament was held at Santa Tierra Golf Course and our Winter Ranch residents did us proud. Our men came home with both the 1st and 2nd Place. The 1st Place Winners were Tony Hyde, Roger Wheeler, John Grosbeek and Jerry Harshorn.
Tony Hyde, Roger Wheeler, and John Grosbeek
The 2nd Place winners are Larry Graham, Bill Siglin, Bob Haskell and Robert Clauson but they told me they wouldn’t be here today because, guess what, they are playing golf!
Our women did well at the tournament too. Congratulations to Janis Bell, Sue Hobson, Dody Anenson and Connie Webb won 1st Place in the Women’s Golfing.
Janis Bell, Sue Hobson, Dody Anenson and Connie Webb
Two of our people won Closet to the Pin: Sue Hundley and Pat Sullivan and, Dody Anenson won the prize for the longest drive.
Dody Anenson and Sue Hundley
Alamo Parade: Last Saturday Winter Ranch we had over 100 participants from Winter Ranch. We also won the No. 2 Trophy for the second year in a row. We did that with only a few days of preparation and a lot of work by Flo Reed, Dody Anenson and Pat Cullett. These ladies did a terrific job. Congratulations to all of you! Trophy Gardens won No. 1 for the second year in a row so next year it is time to kick their butts!
Congratulations to Macel Groth who collected her Super Sundae for four last Sunday at the Sundae Sunday. Macel was the first person to find the new Winter Ranch Blog before I announced it to anyone and won the prize. She finally collected it on Sunday.
The Show and Share event was a success and it was just wonderful to see all the wonderful things that have been made this season. If you didn’t go, you need to check the pictures out on the blog.
ACTIVITY DEPARTMENT NEWS:
Golden Age Olympics Participants: Please wear your shirts, if you have them, and bring any trophies or medals from the events you participated in on Wednesday, March 16th. We’ll have all of you come forward and get a group picture and also take pictures of the Medal Winners. We want all the people from the Biking and Birding Tour and the Walk and Talk also.
The Winter Ranch Vs Trophy Gardens Golf Scramble Tournament will be held on March 12th at 9 AM. Any questions, call Dick DeGaramo: 309-838-1976 or check out the blog from last week’s meeting that had the particulars on it.
The Ladies Luncheon will be held on Monday, March 14th, at Noon in the Large Hall. The tickets are on sale today in the back of the hall and on Friday in the Small Hall from 10-Noon. The luncheon will be catered by Aguilar’s Meat Market and will be chopped brisket, cole slaw, potato salad, rolls, iced tea and a fancy cake.
The last Fusable Glass Jewelry class will be on March 14th at 6:30 PM in the Stained Glass Studio. There may be a seat or two left on the signup sheet on the board across from the Mail Room.
Kentucky Derby Day at Lone Star Downs will be held on March 15th at 3 PM in the Large Hall. Wear your finery as there will be prizes for the best dressed man and the best dressed woman. Bonnets are always in at the derby, ladies. The Chuck Wagon will be serving some upscale food for the event. We’ll have some ham and Swiss sliders like the ones at the jam last week. Thanks to Barb Steenrod, we have the recipe. We’ll also be serving chicken salad on croissants. Lee is planning a drink to go with the event but we’ll see if he can get a concoction that tastes good!! If he does, we’ll be having some non-alcoholic mint julips. Please remember to bring lots of quarters as we can’t take time to make change during the races!
St. Patrick’s Day Celebration: I have posted information about what is happening on my board in the Small Hall as well as several places in this hall. Just look for the Green Top Hat. There has been a change in the schedule for the day. The Poker Run will start at 1:30 in the Small Hall instead of 2 PM. You’ll pick up a map and visit 8 different sites around the park. The person with the best hand will win the pot. After you have visited all eight places, you can turn your card into the Activity Office. We’ll notify the winner by phone and put the results on Facebook and the Blog. The winner will get the whole pot if it is under $200. After it goes over $200, the top two people will split the pot.
The bad news is that Carlos and I had a lack of communication somewhere and so we won’t be celebrating with him this season. We decided just to cancel the celebration here and accept Trophy’s invitation to join them again this season.. There will be a Golf Cart Parade again this year and specifics on it are posted on the walls as well as a map of the parade route so those that just want to watch the parade will know where to sit.
The good news is that the hall is now open for regular Thursday activities.
A Charity Golf Scramble for Alzheimer’s is tentatively proposed for March 18th. Watch the Golf Board for more information.
The Jam Appreciation Luncheon for those that helped to make our Jam so successful (those that worked on the Musical side and those that worked on a Jam Luncheon Teams) is scheduled for Noon on March 19th.
The last of the Rio Grande Regional Medical Hospital Blood Screenings has been scheduled for 7 AM for March 21st. There is a signup sheet on the bulletin board across from the Mail Room. They need to know how many to expect as it is getting late in the season.
Dominos will be on Sunday this week because of the Thursday Entertainment.
Water Volleyball has made a slight change in their times. On Wednesdays instead of playing from 4 to 5 PM, they will be playing at 7 PM. They looked they had a great time last Wednesday evening! For those of you who want more pool time yourselves, Wednesday is now open until 7 PM.
- Thursday, March 10th at 7 PM, we will have Faith’s Journey here. They will do a Gospel Show for us. We saw them at the Entertainment Showcase and they do an awesome job. They describe themselves as “Absolutely Country and Definitely Gospel.” The tickets are $7. They stopped in here a couple of weeks ago thinking they were at Trophy Gardens and they wanted to get set up. They are on our lineup for next season but since they were here, I asked if they could perform for us on March 10th since we had an opening. We know you’ll enjoy them.
- Sunday, March 13th at 3 PM, we will have Pat Davison’s Comedy Magic Circus. Pat Davison has been involved with the circus for lots of years and he and his family do some acts and some comedy. It should be fun. The tickets are $8. This will be our last entertainment of the season. This shows gets really good reviews and we are both anxious to see it. Hope you’ll come out and enjoy it too.
It would also help out if the church folks would leave the chairs up after church that day.
- Friday, March 11th at 7 PM The Agency will be with us for our Senior Prom. You can sign up to reserve your seats at the back of the hall today or you can buy tickets at the door. You can choose to dress up and relive your prom or be casual and take part in everything but being chosen for the King, Queen and Court. I know one couple where she is dressing up and he’s wearing his dressy shorts and sandals. We really don’t care. It is just meant to be a fun event. There will be a great prize for the couple that wins the game at intermission but we aren’t saying what it is or what you have to do to win!
- WR Two-Hour Catamaran Cruise on the Laguna Madre – The wind knocked out our trip on Monday, however, it has been rescheduled for Wednesday, March 16th leaving at 4 PM. We are leaving later because of daylight savings time change. There were a few seats left after some people couldn’t go but the trip is now full again.
- WR Bus to Smoky Tails, a new restaurant at South Padre – The bus will be leaving at 3 PM today. Your cost is whatever meal you decide on. The restaurant also has entertainment and one of the people we have scheduled for next season will be performing on the 9th – Mario. Mario comes to us from Las Vegas and Branson, Missouri and Legends. We saw him at the Entertainer Showcase and were very impressed. We think you’ll enjoy the evening. The trip is being signed up at the back of the hall today and they have a menu of what is available at Smoky Tails.
- WR Bus to Winter Texan Appreciation Day in Nuevo Progreso will leave here at 9 AM on March 21st. You can sign up at the back of the hall today and after that in the Activity Office.
- WR/TG Bus to the Symphony “A Night at the Theater” will leave at 6:30 PM on March 22nd. These tickets are $5 and are available in the Business Office.
BUS ETIQUETTE RULES
Just a friendly reminder of our rules regarding bus trips. These rules are on the bulletin boards in the Large and Small Halls as well as being on the Blog under the Bus Trip Information Tab. If you are going to miss a bus trip, you need to notify the Activity Office that you will not be going at least one business day before the trip. Otherwise, a $2 charge will be assessed and when paid will be given to the Bus Driver as part of his tip. If you consistently do not show up for bus trips (miss three times), you will not be able to take any trips the rest of the season. So, if you have missed a bus trip, please stop in the office and we’ll take your $2 and give it to the bus driver.
Sr. Prom Dance – The dance will be on March 11th at 7 PM. We could use a setup team at 4 PM on the day of the dance at 4 PM and then some guys to help tear down tables after the dance. See me if you can help out.
We also need a few people to decorate for the event. Men and women are needed. See Mary in the Office if you can help out. We’ll also need someone to watch the punch bowl.